Saturday, August 23, 2014

Bed Time Tale

I had to tell Dagon's kid* a bed time story. Had to come up with it on the fly, and now I'm posting it here.

Dagon's kid is kinda ugly, by the way. Takes after his father, and not his dear mumzy. '

 *Kidthulhu Dagon.



Once upon a time, in a far away land, lived a lonely young woman who spent everyday in her garden. She tended to her flowers everyday, nurturing them so that they might grow. One day, she found a small sparrow in her garden, sipping from the pond that lay within.

"Dear mister Sparrow," She said, "I have not seen you here before. Pray tell, are you from far away?"

"Nay, miss, I am not. These woods are my home, and I have come here often to drink from this pond."

"Oh, have you? I'm terribly sorry, I did not know."

"That's all right, miss. I come here whilst you sleep to drink. I fear I am not a social bird. But my thirst today was too great to wait for nightfall. I do beg your pardon."

"Fret not, dear mister Sparrow. You are welcome to help yourself to the water from my pond anytime, or even to take some berries from the bushes."

"Mighty kind of you, miss, and if you shan't mind, I shall take your kind offer. Food has become scarce nowadays in the forest. A lone bird like me doesn't stand much chance finding a meal as of late."

"You are alone? Have you not a mate or friends amongst your fellow sparrows?"

"No, I can't say as I do. I have no mate, and while I will trade with my fellow sparrows, I can't call any of them my friend."

"Why ever not?"

"I'm a peculiar sparrow, I suppose. I know not how to interact with the others, aside from simple business. Many a sparrow has caught my eye as a mate, sure enough, but I have not caught any of theirs."

"There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with you, mister Sparrow. You seem like a fine bird."

"I am fine, as far fine goes. My wings are sturdy, my beak is sharp, and I'm healthy, but I fear that the problem lies in my mind. I can't seem to connect to other birds you see, no matter how I try."

"Are you alone, dear mister Sparrow?"

"No, dear miss. I am talking to you, am I not? How could I do so, were I alone?"

"I meant are you lonely."

"I suppose I am. Not now, of course, but sometimes."

"Would you say you're usually lonely?"

"I wouldn't know, miss. I've never been good at quantifying such abstract concepts. All I know is that sometimes I'm lonely, and sometimes I'm not. I wouldn't know if I am more one than the other."

"Do you want someone, mister Sparrow? A friend to talk to? One who will accept you?"

"Aye, that would be mighty nice, should I find one. But if I don't, then I don't. Lots of people end up alone, miss, lots of 'em. If I were to stay so, then that would be that. Just another lonely bird. I might not want it, I might not like it, but if that's the way it is....I'll accept it."

"Why don't you just change it, if that is the way it is?"

"Those things aren't easy to change, miss. I'd dare say some such things might even be impossible to change. No use fighting it."

"Oh, but dear Sparrow, look! I am here! You can talk to me, and I can accept you. All I ask is that you talk back, and accept me in return."

"Well, gosh, miss. That is mighty kind of you. I do believe I'd rather like that, should you really want a little ol' bird like me."

And so, the lonely women and the lonely Sparrow stayed together in the garden, spending the rest of their days with each-others friendship.



Shucks, almost brings a tear to my non-eye.

1 comment:

  1. Bird: "I'm lonely."
    Girl: "Me too."
    Then, they high five each other and star in a series of buddy cop films together.
    Brilliant work, Su!

    ReplyDelete